Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Customer Is Just Accentuating The Problem

, , , , , | Right | November 16, 2022

I work from home for a shoe company in the customer service department. My particular department deals with USA customers. A man calls regarding a credit on his account; he wants to use that to purchase another item.

I must note that I have a northern English accent, but just as I can have trouble with American accents, I always believe patience is key because accents are just a way of life.

Customer: “What is the name of the shoes that I had before? I want to look them up on the website.”

Me: “The name is [Shoe].”

Customer: “What? I cannot understand you. Is that English?”

I repeat the name three times and use it in a sentence.

Customer: “Your accent is too thick! Are there any Americans to speak English to me?”

Me: “I apologise; we do not have any USA staff and I have not had this problem before. I will try to speak slower.”

I speak slower, and the customer begins to sarcastically laugh.

Customer: “Does anyone else speak better English?”

Me: *Through gritted teeth* “The employees on call tonight — apart from me — are actually from Liverpool, and you may find that a harder accent to understand, but I can transfer you.”

The customer sighs dramatically.

Me: “I understand that we both have accents. If you can be patient, I will speak as slowly as possible.”

The call somehow comes to an end, and I finalise the transaction — however, not before I am subjected to the customer telling me:

Customer: “You don’t speak English; it’s like Mandarin English.”

He laughs hysterically. My silence must speak volumes.

Customer: “You don’t find that funny?”

Me: “No!”

I then hung up.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!