Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Cheapskate Seed Was Planted Here Long Ago

, , , , | Right | November 4, 2021

I run a carnivorous plant shop, and construct unique enclosures and backdrops on commission. A regular part of the job involves clients who (a) want an incredibly rare (and therefore expensive) plant that they just heard about, and (b) don’t want to pay for than $25 for the whole thing.

Client: “I want a setup with a Nepenthes edwardsiana in it.”

This species prefers cool, nearly refrigerated conditions and is NOT for beginners.

Me: “Okay, I can do this. Have you raised carnivorous plants before?”

Client: “No, but I saw this plant on a YouTube video and I think it looks cool.”

Me: “Okay, noted. In total, the plant and enclosure will cost [X total].”

Client: “That’s way too expensive. Why are you trying to rip me off?”

Me: “Most of the cost is in the plant. It’s very rare and fussy in cultivation. I have one, and it cost me [Y total]. That’s the [X total] minus the bare costs of enclosure construction and materials, so I’d have to charge the same price.”

Client: “Well, I heard that you can take cuttings of plants and grow them for free. Just take a cutting off of yours.”

Me: “It doesn’t work that way. I’d have to wait weeks to see if it actually rooted, and this plant is too small to get cuttings without killing it.”

Client:Well. I saw someone selling one on Amazon for [Z total] so I’ll just go to them.”

This is considerably less than [Y total]. Fast forward six months: the client is back.

Client: “The seller I bought my plant from sold me the wrong plant. The storefront is shut down, and I can’t get a refund. I want to buy yours for [Z total].”

Me: “As I explained before, I can’t let mine go for less than [Y total].”

Client: “But they were selling ones for [Z total]!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!