Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Appliance Of Defiance

| Right | October 19, 2014

(I am 32 years old, and have approximately 16 years of customer service experience in various fields. While working as the appliance manager at a well-known nationwide retailer, I am speaking with a customer about the protection plan we sell as an extra add-on option and he seems to get a little confused as to the products and services we offer.)

Me: “Everything we sell that has a motor is eligible for some form of extra protection agreement that can be purchased separately and works concurrently with the manufacturer’s warranty.”

Customer: “What all does it cover and how much does it cost?”

Me: “Well with fridges it would cover parts and labor for the term of the agreement and if for some reason the unit completely fails, it would cover the value of the unit towards replacing it as well as money for the food that is lost inside the unit. The price of the plan varies based on the model of appliance you buy.”

Customer: “What do you mean, it varies? It should be a flat rate for all units.”

Me: “Well, there’s a higher cost for a fridge with an ice maker and/or water dispenser than there is for a fridge that doesn’t have those features.”

Customer: “Right, so those units should have a cheaper protection plan, right?”

Me: “… um, right.”

Customer: “So what do you mean when you say it would cover the value of the unit towards replacing it?”

Me: “Well if you buy a $2000 fridge and that fridge dies, you would get $2000 towards purchasing a replacement fridge. Then you just come in and select a new unit.”

Customer: “What? Well, that’s absurd.”

Me: “I don’t understand; why is that absurd?”

Customer: “Well, if my iPhone dies then Apple just sends me the newest model available as a replacement and I don’t pay anything!”

Me: “That may be but appliances are quite a bit different from cell phones, especially refrigerators.”

Customer: “That shouldn’t matter; whatever is the newest model should automatically get sent to the customer’s house if the old one dies. That’s what’s called customer service.”

Me: “And what if, in the time you have the fridge, you decide that your next one will be a different style? Or you want a different size? Or you’re remodelling your kitchen and you want a different finish?”

Customer: “Well then they should be able to anticipate customer needs and make a new model that will appeal to everyone.”

Me: “…”

Customer: “Maybe you’re not high enough in the food chain to understand this concept. After you get a little experience in customer service and start making adult purchases, you’ll understand.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!