Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The American Dream: Scottish Style

, , , , | Right | September 13, 2020

I’m working on the coffee machine listening to an American customer talk to my coworker as he is paying for his meal. It should be noted that while a few of us, myself included, are taking a year out from higher education, etc., others have been living in the community and working at this establishment for many years. Also, this cafe is truly one of the nicest work environments I’ve ever experienced and is in a lovely part of the world.

American: “I just wanted to say that, while you may be working here for a while, you will move on to better things! You can still go to university or work your way up to management. My wife and I both started by waiting tables, and now we own our own business!” 

He continues to gush on and on about how we’re all going to be much more successful and escape our present horror of working in this cafe. I cannot stress enough how nice this place is, but he’s talking as if being a waitress is the end of the world.

Anyway, my coworker, being very nice, just smiles and nods until this man goes away. All the while, I’m fuming by the coffee machine.

Me: “Who does he think he is? He obviously doesn’t know anything about this place!”

Coworker: “He thought he was being nice. I think he was trying to spread that whole American dream idea. You know, if you’re not the CEO, then you’re not living the dream.”

Well, all I can say is, I am thoroughly unimpressed with the American dream and I actually ENJOY working in customer service!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!