Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

That’s Not At All Patronizing, Is It?

, , , , | Working | December 22, 2020

Some friends and I are sitting in our local pub on Friday night, having a few beers and discussing life, the universe, and everything. At the table next to us are a man and a woman in their forties doing much the same. The woman is in a wheelchair.

After they’ve been sitting there for a few hours, drinking and eating, the man heads to the bathroom while the woman flags down the waiter and asks for two more beers.

Waiter: “Sorry, I can’t serve you.”

Woman: *Taken aback* “Why not? We haven’t been too loud, have we?”

Waiter: “No, but I don’t know if you should be drinking.” *Points to her wheelchair* “Once your caretaker gets back, if he says it’s okay, then I’ll serve you.”

Woman: *Astonished* “My ‘caretaker’?”

Waiter: “Yeah, the guy who’s helping you out.”

Woman: “He’s not my ‘caretaker.’ I’m an adult; I’m quite capable of taking care of myself. You’ve been serving us for hours now with no problem.”

Waiter: “Because your caretaker was ordering.”

Woman: “He’s not my caretaker.”

Waiter: “Look, I’m sorry, but how am I supposed to know you’re not on some medication that will react poorly with alcohol?”

Woman: “Everyone else here could be, too, and you’re not refusing to serve them. I’m in a wheelchair; I’m not sick.”

Waiter: “How am I supposed to know that?”

Woman: “Because I’m telling you.”

Waiter: “And if your caretaker tells me the same, I’ll serve you.”

Woman: “Okay, let me speak to your manager.”

Waiter: “I’m the owner. So if you have a reaction to alcohol, that’ll be my responsibility, and I don’t want that.”

My Friend: “Look, just serve her. We’ve all been sitting here for a while, and the only one having a ‘reaction’ is you.”

Waiter: “Sure. Just as soon as her caretaker—”

Woman: *Furious* “He’s not my ‘caretaker’!”

My Friend: “And I am on medication, which is why I’ve been drinking soda all night, and you keep trying to sell me beer.”

Waiter: “But that’s different.”

And so on and so forth. The couple ended up leaving, as did we, and we haven’t been back since.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!