Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

That’s A Lot Of Fuss For Less Than A Dollar

, , , | Right | November 29, 2021

I was working in customer service. A lady bought two items on clearance for $10 each. We have 5% tax, so the total came out to $21. She came back later.

Customer: “The sticker on these items actually says $5.”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am. I’ll refund you the difference.”

I processed the refund, including the tax, so the refund came to $10.50.

Customer: “Wait. Shouldn’t I be getting $10 back? The difference in price is only $10. I want $10 back on my card, not $10.50.”

Me: “Ma’am, the register does the calculating, not me.”

I refrain from pointing out that a sixth-grader could do this math. Since it was on card, the register had to put the extra $.50 on; if it was cash and it was bothering her, I’d have kept the $.50.

The worst part is that she worked in offices upstairs and brought the OFFICE ACCOUNTANT to come down and discuss why I wouldn’t put the $10 on her card. I explained. The accountant nodded. The customer nodded.

And on the way out, the lady turned to her accountant and said:

Customer: “I still don’t get it.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!