Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

That Wasn’t The Deal(ership)

, , | Right | September 10, 2020

I work in the service department of a car dealership. I receive a call from an elderly customer.

Customer: “I need a repair for my roof. A garage door dropped on my car.”

Me: “Oh my, sorry to hear that. We can absolutely fix that for you. Would you like a cost estimate beforehand?”

Customer: “Why would I need that?”

Me: “Well, some people need one for the insurance company if someone else caused the damage, or they would want one for themselves if they have to pay. That’s up to you.”

Customer: “But you’re going to pay!”

Me: “Excuse me?”

Customer: “You have to do the repair work for free.”

Me: “I’m sorry but I don’t understand. Why should we work on your car for free?”

Customer: “You are a [Brand] dealership and I drive a [Brand] car.”

Me: “Sir, with all due respect, [Brand] is not responsible for this kind of damage to your car. I suggest you speak to the person who owns the garage.”

Customer: “But that’s my garage!”

Me: “Then I suggest you speak to the manufacturer of the garage door and ask them if they would like to pay for the damage.”

He did eventually pay for the repair himself, but it took us weeks to convince him that we were absolutely not responsible for a malfunction on his garage door.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!