Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

That Tipped Her Over The Edge

Right | November 22, 2015

(I’m at a popular Canadian coffee shop waiting in line. This coffee shop does not usually have tip jars available but today there is one at each counter. The older lady waiting in front of me strikes up a conversation.)

Customer: “Look at that! They’ve put tip jars out!”

Me: “Oh, yeah. I guess those aren’t usually there.”

Customer: “I’ve been to…” *lists every franchise in the area* “…and they all have tip jars now, too. The management changed and they are allowing them to put out tip jars!”

Me: “Well, every other coffee shop has tip jars.”

(Before she can reply the lady is called up to the cashier.)

Cashier: “What can I get for you, ma’am?”

Customer: “I’ll have a medium double-double and just so you know I am never coming here ever again!”

Cashier: *obviously taken aback* “Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. May I ask why?”

Customer: “You put out tip jars!”

(The customer begins to berate the poor cashier about a decision that clearly wasn’t hers. After about a minute I’ve had enough. I grab a few dollars out of my bag and go up the counter, reach around the crabby customer and throw it in the tip jar.)

Me: “This is for having to deal with her.”

(They finished up their transaction and the woman waited for her order while staring daggers at me. I went up to make my order and the cashier thanked me for standing up for her. I went in there about a week later and lo-and-behold, who did I see? The same cranky old bat! Looked like the tip jars weren’t so offensive after all. Hopefully she was treating the lovely staff there more respectfully… Maybe even throwing in a tip or two – though I doubt it.)


Did you find this story using our Tipping Roundup?

Click here to read the next story!

Click here to go back to the roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!