Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

That Request Just Takes The Cake

| Right | August 15, 2015

(This happens right during the week of the Boston Marathon bombing and the day after the whole city and the surrounding towns were required to stay closed due to a manhunt of the bomber. There are announcements everywhere on the news the day before and cop cars telling us to stay indoors. This is what happens the day after.)

Me: *looking at a book of cake orders* “Uh oh, looks like we have a cake order today.”

(We make cake orders usually the day before and freeze it since they’re purely made out of mousse.)

Manager: “Oh, okay, let me call the customer since we were closed all day yesterday. I’m sure they’ll understand since we had a situation yesterday.”

(The manager goes away to call the customer but comes back shaking his head.)

Manager: “Wow, I can’t believe it. She was really upset.”

(A few minutes later, the customer comes in.)

Customer: “I can’t believe it! Why didn’t you call me yesterday?”

Manager: “We were closed yesterday due to the bombing…”

Customer: “Well, you should have called! I was telling my sister how your cakes are great and now we can’t get the one we ordered? How unprofessional of you! Now I’m going to have to drive to Connecticut without one and ruin their son’s birthday! ”

Manager: “You know, I’m sure YOUR sister will understand since Boston was closed down yesterday. Have a nice day!”

(We did let her choose a cake that we already had in the store afterwards… but this situation really put a damper on all of us the rest of the day in the bakery…)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!