Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

That Policy Is A Big No No

| Working | May 10, 2017

(I work at the student services office at my university. One day my boss calls a staff meeting and informs us we have a new policy, we are no longer allowed to use the word “no.”)

Coworker: “What if someone asks a yes or no question?”

Boss: “Be creative and find a different way to answer the question.”

(We all go back to work and I am on the phones.)

Me: “Student services; how may I help you?”

Caller: “Do you have on campus housing?”

(The correct answer is no but my boss is sitting a few feet from me at the next station.)

Me: “We have apartments all around the campus many students rent.”

Caller: “Okay, but do you have on campus housing.”

Me: “Umm…” *I look at my boss who gives me a “don’t you dare” look but seeing as I have no option I say* “No. We do not have any on campus housing.”

Caller: “Okay, thank you!”

(My boss was not happy that I said no but I told her the callers question and eventually she agreed I had no other option. That policy was not talked about after that.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!