Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Thanks For The Extra Pay, Jerk!

, , , , , | Working | April 2, 2021

My workplace is very forgiving; you don’t see people being disciplined and I have never seen anyone fired. That is probably why [Coworker] still works here. He does an okay job but seems to seek out ways to be wronged and then acts out massively. 

Coworker: “Hey, can you cover for me next week?”

Me: “Err, I’m going to be a bit busy next week. What day?”

Coworker: “No, the whole week.”

Me: “Oh, no, sorry. I’m off one day and have a customer with me one day.”

Coworker: “There are five days in the week!”

Me: “During which I will be doing my own job!”

Coworker: “Fine, whatever!”

He storms off dramatically, which is pretty funny because his desk is only a few meters away. I don’t think any more of it until his boss approaches me.

Coworker’s Boss: “So, we have the [meeting] Wednesday, and the monthly reports due Monday—”

Me: “Sorry, but why are you telling me this?”

Coworker’s Boss: “Well, you’re covering for him! He has the week off.”

Me: “I’m not; I told him I can’t.”

Coworker’s Boss: “What? Wait ‘til I get hold of him.”

I avoid [Coworker] and his boss for the rest of the week. Monday comes around and his boss is again at my desk.

Coworker’s Boss: “Can you help me with this report, please?”

Me: “I’m sorry, didn’t we have this conversation last week?”

Coworker’s Boss: *Sighs* “[Coworker] has called in sick today. Please, any help would be great.”

Me: “Okay, I guess.”

I stay a little late and get everything done, including [Coworker]’s work. I have Tuesday off, and I come in early Wednesday, ready to catch up with everything I’ve missed. I open my emails to find one from my boss, asking to see him ASAP. I go to his office and see him and [Coworker]’s boss there.

Me: “You asked to see me?”

My Boss: “We need your help. [Coworker] isn’t in again and he has some important work to get out.”

Me: “I can see where this is going, but I am already a day behind on my own work, and I have [Major Customer] coming in tomorrow, so I not only have to catch up and prepare for the meeting but also I’ll also miss another day. So, no, I don’t think I can.”

My Boss: “I’ve talked to human resources and the director; we will give you double-time for all of your hours and I personally will add an extra five hours to it. Don’t forget, pay review session is nearly here and this will look very good for you.”

Me: “Fine, I guess.”

I end up having one of the busiest weeks of my life. I work late into the evening all week and I have to move a load of work into next week just to get done. However, I manage to get through it.

The next week, [Coworker] waltzes in like nothing has happened. After chatting with some people, he strolls over to my desk.

Coworker: “Looks like you did have time after all. Ha.”

Me: “I think your boss wants you.”

His boss motioned him toward the office. Whatever was said didn’t last long, and [Coworker] left the room with an empty box to fill with his stuff. If I had to guess, calling in sick and then posting pictures of his holiday on Facebook was probably the last straw. They replaced him with a part-time worker who is lovely and somehow never struggles anywhere near as much as [Coworker] did.


This story is part of our Best Of April 2021 roundup!

Read the next Best Of April 2021 roundup story!

Read the Best Of April 2021 roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!