Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Teenage Swindlers

, , , | Right | October 15, 2018

(I work at a big chain movie theater every summer during college. It’s a great place to work; the only drawback is that it is a minimum-wage job. I am working concessions on a different night than I usually work. An elderly gentleman comes to my register.)

Gentleman: “I will take a medium popcorn and a large soda.”

Me: “Sir, did you know if you get a large popcorn, you actually pay the same price as a medium because it becomes part of a combo?”

Gentleman: “Of course I know that. You guys always try to get me to upgrade. Trying to take all my money with your high popcorn prices. You should be ashamed of yourself for selling simple popcorn and soda at these outrageous prices. How can you be here knowing you are swindling people out of their money? Huh?”

Me: “Okay… Medium popcorn and large soda it is! Would you like butter flavoring on the popcorn?”

Gentleman: “Yeah, might as well get something for all that money I’m giving you.”

(A coworker comes to help me after hearing what the gentleman was saying. He gets him his items, after paying the outrageous price for his food, the customer leaves.)

Coworker: “You handled him well. I love how people assume we lowly teenage workers control the prices or get commission from selling popcorn. He comes in here almost every week and gets the same thing, and complains about the prices and shames the cashier. If you ever get him again, don’t mention the upgrade; it sets him off. Sometimes I just want to scream at him, ‘If you don’t like it, don’t come in every week and buy it!’ Wish he would sneak stuff in like everyone else.”

Me: “Right?!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!