Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Tee-sing Your Coworkers

, , , | Working | June 12, 2020

I am a shift lead at a fairly well-known video game store. Our company dress code says we should wear collared shirts or video-game-related tees, plain jeans or khakis, and some kind of close-toed shoe. As for shirts, our current boss prefers that we only wear collared shirts. I usually do both; I will wear a collared button-down over the gaming tee of my choice, but if I get too hot from running around the store doing my job, I’ll often swap to just the tee so I don’t pass out from heat exhaustion.

The following exchange occurs with a general associate on one of those occasions.

She is over an hour into her shift, speaking to a customer, looking over at me.

Associate: “Man, I wish I got to wear tee-shirts.”

I turn around to give her a long look, as she is wearing a floaty blouse, skinny jeans, and cowboy boots.

Me: “Really, [Associate]? Really?”

Associate: “You’re always wearing just tee shirts! I thought we were supposed to wear collared shirts.”

Me: “It does seem unfair when someone else isn’t following the dress code, doesn’t it?”

I’m not sure she ever caught on to the irony of her complaint.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!