Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Taking The Time, To Take Your Time

, , | Right | December 21, 2016

(I work in a mom and pop pharmacy in high school. We have an elderly woman come in one day for her medications and they aren’t ready. Most people would get really angry and yell if they weren’t done yet, so inside I’m already cringing.)

Me: “Ma’am, I’m sorry, but the pharmacist hasn’t quite finished with your prescriptions yet.”

Customer: “Oh, that’s okay, dear. You tell him to take his time. I haven’t had a chance to read the paper yet today.” *goes and sits down in the waiting area and picks up the newspaper we keep there for customers and waits a good 10, 15 minutes*

Me: “Ma’am, I’m sorry for the wait, but they’re ready now.”

Customer: “Oh, good, thank you so much.” *chats with me about school and things while I’m completing the transaction, showing great interest in me personally* “Now, dear, I know this isn’t much, but I’m so glad you helped me. Here, get yourself a soda.” *puts 50 cents in my hand* “You have a great day, sweetie.”

(I stood there staring in surprise, because no customer had ever made me feel like anything more than an NPC in their life before. My boss then came out, and told me that this lady always gave the cashiers a little something, even though she was on a fixed income. They had a jar in back with her name on it, and if I was willing, we saved all those tips and bought her something nice at Christmas. I didn’t keep the money.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!