Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Taking A Holiday From Reason

, | Right | December 17, 2012

(I am working the day before Christmas Eve. Our management has been pressing us to say ‘Happy Holidays’ so that people don’t get offended. However, sometimes I would slip up and say ‘Merry Christmas’ because of habit. I am also Wiccan, and therefore do not follow Christian practices.)

Me: “Here is your order! Have a nice day, and Merry Christmas!”

Customer: “Excuse me?”

Me: “Um… here is your order?”

Customer: “No, what you just said. You just wished me a Merry Christmas.”

Me: “Yes… yes, I did?”

Customer: “How dare you! What if I didn’t believe in Christ! Do you know how offensive that would have been?! What if I was Jewish or Atheist?! You have really offended me! What do you have to say for yourself?!”

Me: “Well, ma’am, I do apologize if I offended you. However, I don’t believe in Christ. I’m Wiccan. But I still celebrate Christmas because it’s a beautiful family holiday.”

(The customer goes quiet for a moment. All of a sudden she starts yelling.)

Customer: “How can you not believe in Christ?! He died for your sins on the cross! Do you have any idea what Christmas is about! It’s not about family; it is about the birth of Jesus! How dare you! I will never eat here again!”


This story is part of the Christmas Eve roundup!

Read the next Christmas Eve roundup story!

Read the Christmas Eve roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!