Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Take The Time And Be Extra Kind

, , , , , , | Right | CREDIT: Zzyzx_the_Summoner | March 25, 2022

I’m from south Louisiana. I’m sure people know about “Southern Hospitality,” but south Louisiana cranks this up to eleven.

I left Baton Rouge and moved to another state for a teaching gig. It was a Sunday, and I had to run to the grocery store to get a few things. Sunday was a big shopping day, and the place was packed with long lines waiting to check out.

I walked to the closest line with my few groceries in my arms. This was before the prominence of self-checkouts, so no matter how much or how little you bought, there was going to be a wait. It’s just how things were. No biggie.

The lady in front of me had to be in her eighties and not more than ninety-five pounds. Her buggy was absolutely filled to the top. The people in front of her were almost done checking out when I saw her struggling to pick up a bag of frozen chicken to place on the conveyor. She struggled again with another item… and another… and another.

The cashier started ringing her up and simply stared at her with impatience while this poor old woman struggled with removing items from her buggy.

I looked around and everyone was sighing with annoyance and impatience. The bagger, the cashier, the people behind me… Seriously?

I put my items down on a nearby drink refrigerator.

Me: “Ma’am, do you need any help?”

With brightness and joy in her eyes, she answered:

Lady: “Please.”

I unloaded her buggy onto the conveyor and placed the bagged groceries back in as the bagger handed them to me. I was finished in no time, smiled at the lady, picked my items back up, and got back in line behind her.

She paused for a moment. Evidently, she had been so flustered with trying to place her groceries on the conveyor that she had never noticed me behind her.

Lady: “Wait… You don’t work here?”

Me: “No, ma’am. Just thought you might appreciate a little help.”

She then gave me the biggest hug, and with tears in her eyes, she said:

Lady: “Thank you. Thank you so much.”

Me: *Smiling* “You’re welcome.”

I followed her out to her vehicle and helped her load everything.

She thanked me again and told me she dreaded going to the grocery store because it was so difficult for her, and people were always getting frustrated with her when it came to checking out.

I shook my head.

Me: *Shaking my head* “That is sad. I’m sorry about that. Back home, stuff like that doesn’t happen. If someone needs help, we help them.”

She started to tear up again, hugged me, and thanked me again. I told her to have a nice day and headed back to my truck.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!