Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Take Note Of The Note, Part 2

| Right | March 24, 2014

(I’m a cashier and food server working alone on the morning shift in a small store. I have just served a customer and he is waiting for his fries to cook.)

Customer #1: “How long until my chips are ready?”

Me: “1 minute and 45 seconds away.”

Customer #2: “Hey, man. I don’t mean to be a bother, but I’m in a hurry. Can you change some money for me?”

Me: “Possibly. How much do you need changed?

(Customer #2 holds up a $20 note.)

Me: “Yeah, sure. Why not?” *I take the $20 off of him, and give him two $10 notes*

Customer #2: “Thanks, man.” *leaves the store*

(I have a funny feeling about the exchange, so when I put his note in the till, I fold the bill below just in case. A minute later…)

Customer #2: “Hey, man. You only gave me $20. I gave you three $20 notes.”

Me: “I’m 100% sure you only gave me $20.”

(I am about to offer to take his details which is procedure in these circumstances when he cuts me off.)

Customer #2: “Look, man. I’m not trying to scam you. My cousin gave me $60 and I needed them changed. They might have been stuck together and looked like one bill but there were three. I would like my $40.”

Me: “I am 100% sure you only gave me $20. If you had asked to change $60 I would have said no in the first place. I also folded the bill below so I can check should a customer come back.”

Customer #2: *about to begin arguing*

Customer #1: “Dude, you only gave him $20.”

Customer #2: *stammers* “Oh, really. My bad, then!”

(Customer #2 walks of rather fast, only to stop at the door, come back, and grab the two $10 notes he’s left on the counter. A few seconds later, Customer #1’s order is ready.)

Me: “Here’s your chips and some sauce on the house, for before.”

Customer #1: “Thanks. So was that guy trying to scam you or what?! He seemed genuine and dodgy at the same time.”

Me: “Yeah, but he didn’t come back to change the other $20 notes.”

Customer #1: “I wouldn’t hate Monday mornings if I saw something that entertaining each week!”

 

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!