Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Literally Singing You Praises

, , | Learning | June 15, 2015

(I go to a well-known private high school. Before high school, I was in a junior choir that sang at an international level. Since the demand is so high, the audition is very demanding, and you have to re-audition every year to keep your spot. I consistently do this for five years until I age out of the program. When I enter high school, I decide to audition for both the international senior choir and my high school choir. I audition and get into the senior choir but not the school choir and instead go to the open choir that’s also run at my school. The instructor teaches both choirs and always makes a point to remind us that we’re not as good as the audition choir. Halfway through the year, my choir instructor has an announcement.)

Instructor: “All right, everyone, I want you all on your best behaviour. A conductor from [Senior Choir] is coming in to talk to you all. This will be a good opportunity to see if you can improve enough to join our audition choir.”

(We arrive next rehearsal and, lo and behold, it’s my current international senior choir conductor! He gives us a very good lesson and recognises me halfway through. When the class is over, he beckons for me to stay behind to chat.)

Me: “[Conductor]! How are you?”

(We talk for several minutes until my high school instructor comes over.)

Instructor: “Now, now, little miss. Don’t bother the poor conductor. Run along to your next class.”

Conductor: *frowns in confusion* “But aren’t we going to your auditioned choir next?”

Instructor: “Yes.”

Conductor: “Well, isn’t [My Name] in the auditioned choir?”

Instructor: “Oh, good lord, no!”

Conductor: “Are you telling me that your standards are so high that you’re turning down someone I teach at an international level three times a week? No wonder your other choir only has ten people in it!”


This story is part of our Music In Our Schools roundup!

Read the next Music In Our Schools roundup story!

Read the Music In Our Schools roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!