Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Suddenly Subscribes To Your Way Of Thinking

| Working | September 18, 2015

(Canada has recently come out with anti-spam laws – one such law is that companies sending out promotional e-mails must have an unsubscribe option that works. I keep getting 2-3 promotional e-mails a week after hitting unsubscribe for the past two months. Fed up, I go on their online chat feature to get an agent to remove my e-mail.)

Agent: “Hi, my name is [Agent]. What can I do for you today?”

Me: “Hi, I keep getting multiple promotional e-mails a week even after hitting unsubscribe for the past two months. Can you please have a look at this and have my e-mail removed?”

Agent: “You should first try hitting the unsubscribe button at the bottom of these e-mails. If they don’t stop, please contact us! Is there anything else I can do for you today?”

Me: “…Yes, I just stated that I have been trying to unsubscribe for the past two months already. Can you please look into this?”

Agent: “Hold on one moment.”

(Five minutes pass.)

Agent: “Unfortunately, after looking into the issue there isn’t anything we can do outside of hitting the unsubscribe button after getting these e-mails. Is there anything else I can do for you today?”

Me: “I have already stated that I have been hitting unsubscribe. I don’t know if you’re aware, but sending multiple promotional e-mails after the receiver has already unsubscribed, and/or having a faulty unsubscribe button is illegal and goes against Canada’s Anti-Spam Laws. Please forward me to a supervisor to get this fixed as this is against the law.”

Agent: “Please hold.”

(One minute passes.)

Agent: “We have created a technical incident for you and will let you know as soon as it’s been resolved.”

(Turns out it WAS a technical issue with their unsubscribe button. I guess if you remind people that what they’re doing is against the law, you see results!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!