Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Still Get Some Haggler Stragglers

, , , , | Right | March 8, 2018

(I work at a popular store that is known for being mostly women’s clothing, though we do carry a few other things. I’m in the second level of the building at the fitting rooms, and all of our cash registers are downstairs by the doors. A man starts looking at the electronics in front of my area.)

Man: “Excuse me—” *holds up a speaker* “—but how much is this?”

Me: *looks at the price tag and point to it as I smile* “This is going to be [price].”

Man: “Oh, well, I don’t think it is worth that. I will give you [lower price] for it, instead.”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, but all of the prices are as marked.”

Man: “I won’t pay that; I do not think it is worth that much. I think it is only worth [lower price].”

Me: “It doesn’t work like that; you can’t haggle in a store.”

(The man seemed frustrated, but eventually agreed to pay the price as marked. Then, he tried to hand ME some cash, and I told him he had to go to the registers downstairs. I don’t know if this was legitimately his first time in an American store, or if he thought I’d be stupid enough to not understand how a store, in my own country, where I am also employed, works!)


This story is part of our Hagglers roundup.

Read the next Hagglers roundup story!

Read the Hagglers roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!