Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Stick To Your Guns About The Guns

, , , , , , | Working | November 2, 2022

I work security in Texas, and I’ve been doing it for ten years now. In this state, you need a license to work in unarmed security and a separate license to work in armed security (with a gun). Each license requires different levels of certifications and training.

When I first start, I am unarmed. I get offered a job with this company to walk around this cluster of office buildings (like a business park) overnight to make sure nobody is getting up to any shenanigans in the parking lots. It sounds easy enough, so I accept the job.

While I’m working, one of the supervisors comes out to check on me.

Supervisor: “So, how’s the night been?”

Me: “It’s been good so far.”

He looks down.

Supervisor: “Where’s your gun?”

Me: “Uhhh… I don’t have one; I’m not licensed for it.”

Supervisor: “Well, we can’t have that. This is supposed to be an armed post. Hang on.”

He goes back to his car, retrieves a small black bag, and comes back over to me.

Supervisor: “Luckily, I always carry a backup.”

He unzips the bag, reaches in, and pulls out a pistol in a holster. He goes to hand it to me.

Supervisor: “Here, use this for the night. You can bring it back to the office in the morning.”

Me: “I can’t legally carry that, though.”

Supervisor: “It won’t matter for just one night. We’ll get you a different post tomorrow.”

In Texas, State Troopers can do random checks on security officers to make sure their security licenses are on them and are valid. If they’re not, you can be arrested. I have this running through my mind as the supervisor is talking to me.

Me: “Naw, man, I’m not taking that risk.”

Supervisor: “Look, either carry it or you’re fired!”

Without saying a word, I just turned and walked back to my car. The supervisor shouted an insult at my back. I just turned around, said, “Have a good night,” and then left.

I never contacted them again, and they never reached out to me after that night, either.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!