Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Star Wars Of The Sexes

, , , , | Right | September 21, 2018

(I work in a video game store in a shopping centre, and am currently working floor, which means I go around and talk to customers about what games they might be interested in. A family of two boys, a little girl, their parents, and their grandmother come in. The two boys argue for a while over which game to buy, and for the most part I help them out and chat to them. After a while, I’m standing next to the checkout while they purchase their new games. The little sister, who can’t be more than five, comes up to me.)

Little Girl: “Are you a customer?”

Me: “No, I work here.”

Little Girl: “You work here? Why?”

Me: “Well, I get the money, and I like to talk about video games!”

Little Girl: *pauses, looking very confused* “Why?”

Me: *at this point, I am trying not to smile* “Because I like games.”

Little Girl: “You like games?”

Me: “Yep!”

Little Girl: “Do you like Star Wars games?”

Me: “I do, yeah!”

Little Girl: *at this point she gets a shocked look*You like Star Wars?”

Me: “Yeah!” *almost laughing at this point*

Little Girl: *pauses again, looking rather disapproving* “Are you a boy?”

(This makes me laugh, as I do have short hair and often wear a binder for the support at work.)

Me: “No, I’m a girl.”

(I also spot my coworker, who has also gone bright red in the face laughing at the conversation.)

Little Girl: “No, that can’t be right! Only boys like Star Wars!”

Me: *still laughing* “No, that’s not true! Boys and girls can like Star Wars!”

(It went back and forth like this while the checkout went. I did try to convince her that “Star Wars” can be for everyone, but she didn’t seem to have any of it! Her grandmother, who was also laughing, explained to me that her two older brothers often go on about “Star Wars” so she gets fed up with it! And the “Are you a boy?” question has become a running gag at work whenever someone mentions “Star Wars” or anything else typically for a gender!)


This story is part of the Star Wars Day: May The Fourth roundup!

Read the next Star Wars Day: May The Fourth roundup story!

Read the Star Wars Day: May The Fourth roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!