Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Staff Have Trouble Written All Over Them

| Working | September 9, 2013

(My uncle and I are Maori, and from New Zealand. We’re visiting the USA. A Ta Moko is a Maori tattoo that more or less tells your story. My uncle has a full face Ta Moko, while I just have Ta Moko on my arms. My uncle and I are visiting a pizza shop; there’s only two teenagers working currently at the registers.)

Uncle: “We’ll have two large pizzas, both pepperoni.”

Cashier #1: “Sorry, we don’t serve your kind here.”

Uncle: “Pardon? What is our kind?”

Cashier #1: “You tattoo freaks, with your weird designs and green colors.”

Uncle: “We’re not ‘tattoo freaks’; these happen to be Ta Mokos, which are of the Maori culture.”

Cashier #2: “Just shut up and leave; stop making excuses for being druggie tattoo freaks.”

Me: “Pardon? We’re not making excuses. Maori is a real thing; Ta Mokos are special types of tattoos that are special to the Maori culture, and by saying that being of the Maori culture is just an excuse for drugs, then that’s discrimination against a race, and of course it’s against regulation to not serve customers just because they come from a race that is different from yours.”

Cashier #1: “Yeah right, just leave and stop trying to be all cool and druggie.”

Uncle: “Get your manager, now.”

Cashier #2: “Fine, but he’ll just tell you the same thing.”

(The manager comes out and apologizes, saying that he was actually planning to visit New Zealand and is fascinated by the Maori culture. We end up getting a pizza for free, and it was fresh and delicious! Kind managers make up for the terrible employees.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!