Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Soup With A Side Of Confusion

, , , | Right | August 10, 2020

I am a waitress at a restaurant where soup or salad is included with the entrees. We have an option to upgrade the soup or salad to one of our premium options for $2.25.

Customer: “I would like the ribs with spaghetti.”

Me: “Great, and would you like that with a soup or salad?”

Customer: “I’ll take the French onion soup.”

Me: “Of course, and just to let you know, that is an upgrade.”

Customer: “That’s fine. But I’ll still take my salad with my meal.”

Me: “Oh, I’m sorry, it’s soup or a salad. Did you want to change the French onion soup to a salad?”

Customer: “No. I want the French onion soup. I’m paying extra for the soup, so I should still get the salad that’s included in my meal.”

Me: “The French onion soup is actually $4.95; we deduct the amount a starter salad would be from that price, so that’s why you pay a bit extra for the upgrade. By paying for the upgrade, it doesn’t mean you’re paying full price for the soup.”

Customer: “You’re not understanding me! I’m paying extra to get soup! But I still get a salad with my meal!”

Her husband chimes and tells her what I just said. She isn’t paying full price for the soup; she is just paying a portion for an upgrade.

Customer: *Glaring at me* “Well! You could have just told me that. I still think I should get a salad with my meal because of all this fuss.”

I didn’t want to continue explaining our policies to her, so I just agreed and brought her a salad with her meal… which she didn’t touch.


This story is part of our Soup roundup!

Read the next Soup roundup story!

Read the Soup roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!