Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Sort Of Feels Like Adding Insult To Injury, But Okay

, , , , , , , | Working | May 9, 2023

I was traveling from Pennsylvania to California on a well-known American airline. My 4:00 pm flight was delayed half an hour. When the half-hour passed, we were told it had been delayed another hour. Almost an hour after that announcement, we were told the flight had been postponed for six more hours. As it turns out, the crew had not turned up for the previous flight.

I was going to miss my connecting flight in Detroit and, as such, I would not be back to work as planned. I went to the desk attendant along with several other passengers.

Desk Attendant: “Yes?”

Me: “Hi. I won’t make my connection with the delay, so—”

Desk Attendant: “You can take the delayed flight into Detroit, and they can give you a room for the night. They have a 7:00 am flight tomorrow morning. I can switch you now or you can do it when you get there.”

If you’re doing the math on this… I arrived at the airport at 2:00 pm for my 4:00 pm flight. It was bumped to 4:30 pm. Then to 5:30 pm. Then to 11:30 pm. So, I would take a two-hour flight, arriving at 1:30 am. Then, I would have to be back at the airport at 5:00 am for my flight at 7:00 am.

Me: “Is there not a flight from here tomorrow? I don’t—”

Desk Attendant: *Heavy sigh* “Ma’am. Your flight has not been canceled; it is only delayed. Once you get to Detroit, they can comp a hotel room and rebook you on the next flight out in the morning.”

Me: “I don’t see how Detroit should have to pay for my room when it wasn’t their flight that got delayed.”

Desk Attendant: “Gimme your ID.”

I handed over my California driver’s license. [Desk Attendant] took her time looking it over and back at me. She slapped the ID on the desk and furiously typed on her computer.

Desk Attendant: “You have a single-occupancy room at [Hotel]. They have a shuttle, but you have to call for pick-up. Your flight has been changed to 5:00 am tomorrow. Anything else?”

Me: “No. Thank you for your help, [Desk Attendant].”

Desk Attendant: *In a fake-happy tone* “You have a lovely day, and thank you for choosing [Airline].”

The hotel was pretty nice, but being home would have been better. I emailed the airline’s customer service about the desk attendant’s behavior but only received a generic apology email as a response.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!