Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Someone’s Not Getting A Backstage Pass

, , , , | Friendly | April 11, 2023

A friend skipped college to have a music career. By the time we were twenty-two, she had started to become quite a well-known pop and Bossanova singer, especially after she was asked to sing the theme song of a popular local drama. 

She had a lot of fans, but my music interests were in a different genre. I had known her since we were fifteen, so to me, she was just my friend, not a famous singer. Add to that the fact that I never knew she went by her middle name on stage, so I had always called her by her first name. Her first name was not a secret, but most people knew her stage name, so that was the one they all used.

One day, we were at a gathering for school alumni. This was one of those obligatory lunches that none of us could get out of. One of the attendees was a huge fan of [Singer] and was always trying to talk to her, following her around asking for her autograph, and generally being annoying. I happened to be sitting at the same table as [Singer], and [Fan] came along to sit with her idol.

Me: “I’m going to get another drink. Anyone else want one? [Singer’s First Name]?”

Fan: “Why do you always call her [First Name] instead of [Stage Name]?”

Me: “Well, I’ve always known her by [First Name], so I usually forget to use [Stage Name].”

Fan: “[My Name], you’re really too much. How can you forget someone’s name?”

This kind of broke my brain for a bit.

Me: “I didn’t say I forgot her name. I said I don’t remember to use it—”

[Fan] cut me off. 

Fan: “You’re really too much! How could you forget her name?!”

I like to think that at least I wasn’t being an annoying stalker of a fan. I’m pretty sure [Singer] sits with me because I treat her like a normal person.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!