Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Someone Took Jane Elliott Seriously

, , , | Right | November 3, 2020

I work in a supermarket in the reductions team. I am reducing fresh fruit and vegetables. Although I know a fair bit about the products, I have no say in the prices as they’re set at a regional level.

Customer: “Excuse me. Why are the loose carrots six pence more expensive than the packaged carrots?”

Me: “I’m not too sure, really. I could have a guess as to why, but I couldn’t say for sure.”

Customer: “I mean, they really should be cheaper as they don’t need to pay for the plastic packaging, which isn’t good for the environment. I can’t stand having to pay for plastic. David Attenborough showed us it is bad!”

She continues in this vein for a couple more minutes.

Me: “I agree it shouldn’t be more. However, it probably is more as the cheaper carrots are within the value range, whereas these carrots aren’t. But I can’t say for sure. Your best bet would be to email the head office to complain.”

Customer: *Looks in my eyes* “Ah, you’re hazel-eyed, not green. No wonder you don’t know.”

She picked up the pre-packed carrots, despite ranting about the plastic, and walked off. Later, I saw her giving the same rant to the checkouts manager, who had less idea than I did about the reason why. I still don’t get what my eye colour has to do with any of it!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!