Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Somebody Has A Chip On Their Shoulder

| Working | May 10, 2013

(I’ve worked at this restaurant for over a year. A family with an autistic girl lives nearby and comes in at least once a week. The little girl doesn’t like the texture of soggy chips, so I prepare them differently whenever she comes in. On this day, a new coworker is serving them.)

Girl’s Mom: “Could you please put the chips and toppings in separate containers?”

New Coworker: “It’s against company policy.”

Girl’s Mom: “It’s against policy to separate chips and toppings?”

New Coworker: “Yeah, it’s not a big deal.”

Girl’s Mom: “She won’t eat the chips if they get soggy. It upsets her. Please just separate it. I’ll pay extra.”

New Coworker: “Just make her eat them faster. We don’t have the time for all your ridiculous requests!”

(At this point the little girl is visibly upset and trying to get her mom to leave. Thankfully I’m able to come forward and take the order. The kicker? They were the only customers and the cashier wasn’t even in charge of making the food.)


This story is part of our Autism roundup!

Want to read the next story? Click here!

Want to read the roundup? Click here!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!