Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Some People Were Dragged Into The Digital Age Kicking And Screaming

, , , , | Right | CREDIT: DementedSpud | December 12, 2021

I worked in a camera store many lifetimes ago when digital cameras had only just started coming out. To go along with the then-new tech, we started doing in-store printing from digital media, but only certain media like CDs or USB or Floppy. I had this one customer come in with one of the latest Kodak Digital cameras wanting to print the images from it. He took the memory card out, a very flimsy smart card, and told me to print from it.

Me: “We can’t print from a smart card, so I’ll need to transfer it to a CD before printing, which will cost nothing.”

Either he didn’t understand what I was telling him or he didn’t hear me, so I repeated it. He then went into a full meltdown.

Customer: “I spent so much on a camera that I can’t even print from! It’s a hunk of crap!”

And on and on. Even my manager was telling him that we COULD print but he needed to give us a moment to get things set up to do it. Nope! The customer wasn’t having it and continued his rant. Then, he threw his camera in our bin.

Customer: “I’m going to go buy a better one!”

My manager and I, along with a customer or two that were there, just looked at each other, bewildered. We retrieved the camera from our bin, downloaded the images, and found a picture of the man’s driving license. We then packaged up the camera and posted it out to him with a CD copy, with a pay-postage-on-receipt label — like h*** were we paying out to send him his property, which was also damaged after the bin toss.

We never saw that customer again.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!