Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Some People Just Can’t Trust The Process

, , , , , , | Right | January 1, 2023

The boss asks me to do two illustrations and then vectorize them and do clean-up for a product we are putting out.

I work in Photoshop and then convert to vector clean-up and layer color… as Art God intended.

The client sees my rough draft.

Client: “Is this the vector?”

Me: “No, this is the raster; the vector comes next.”

Client: “So, you aren’t even working on what I told you to do for the last couple of days.”

Me: “Sir? I told you there is a process, and it takes time to complete.”

Client: “Show me the vector.”

Me: “Which vector? Neither is done yet. I have to do line clean-up and then vector clean-up or it will look like garbage.”

Client: “Show me the vector.”

I switch to paths mode and show him the current state of the lines.

Client: “I don’t know what I’m looking at.”

Me: “That is the vector.”

Client: “SHOW ME THE VECTOR!”

I flatten and save the work as a .eps.

Me: “There… That is a vector.”

Client: “Why isn’t it done?”

Me: “Because the linework is not finished, and the vector path clean-up isn’t done.”

Client: “I didn’t ask you for an explanation; I asked you for a reason.”

Me: *Pauses* “You’ve literally given me less than ten hours for three professional-grade color illustrations for a three-dimensional pathing execution. And you chose the most painfully complicated things to draw: architecture and repetitive shapes.”

Client: “I don’t want you working another minute on this until you send it to the vendor so he can tell me if it’s a vector file. I think you are going to get a rude awakening when you realize you have wasted my time… with whatever it is that you’ve been doing.”

Me: “Very well, sir. I’ll send your .eps’s to the vendor, so he can tell you whether or not they are .eps’s.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!