Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Some People Just Can’t Be Helped

, , | Right | March 29, 2019

(A customer comes in wanting a refund on a plant because they’ve decided after a few days that they do not like it after all. Our refund policy allows switching plants, and it is still in its original pot, so no problem. Or so I thought…)

Me: “Do you know what plant you’d like to buy, instead, or would you like some help with that?”

Customer: “I’ve not quite decided yet. I thought I’d have a look around and see. There’s a bit of a problem, though: I looked and looked, but I couldn’t find the receipt. I’m really sorry.”

Me: “Oh, no problem. I remember selling this plant to you a couple of days ago.”

Customer: *looks worried* “But… I read your refund policy online. It said I needed a receipt to get a refund.”

Me: “I sold you the plant, so I know you bought it.”

Customer: “I don’t have the receipt, though!”

Me: “Okay, look at it this way: you need proof of purchase to get a refund, right?”

Customer: “Yes.”

Me: “Well, that’s to prove to me that you bought it here, so I know whoever wants the refund isn’t trying to steal.”

Customer: “Yes?”

Me: “You remember me helping you choose this plant and then selling it to you, right?”

Customer: “Oh, yes, you were very helpful!”

Me: “And I remember it, too, so that’s proof of purchase. I know for a fact you bought it here!”

Customer: “But… I don’t have the receipt!”

Me: *gives up* “Tell you what. Without a receipt, I’m allowed to do a straight swap or give you store credit on your item. How does that sound?”

Customer: “Oh, that’d be great! I didn’t know you could do that.” *looks worried again* “You won’t get into trouble for it, will you?”

Me: “No, it’s covered under our refund policy.”

Customer: “I never knew you could do refunds without a receipt!”

Me: “…”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!