Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Some Customers Prefer To Have Baggage

, , , | Right | April 12, 2022

I start a new job at an upscale supermarket. This is LONG before the plastic bag ban, but my store likes being eco-friendly and keeps a large stack of boxes for people to use. As a new hire, I am asked to explicitly ask if people would prefer boxes. In addition, a lot of people are buying bulk, so the boxes actually make handling such things much easier.

Me: “Hi there! Welcome. Do you have your store card today?”

Customer: *Five-second death glare, no card* “Don’t you know who I am?”

Me: “No? If you’ve forgotten the card, I can look it up.”

The customer barks out the company name too gruffly for me to actually make out, but after a moment, I realise it’s also on their clothing, so I’m able to get it in and start.

Me: “I hope you found everything you needed today. Would you be interested in boxes instead of bags today?”

The customer gives me another death glare before speaking like I’ve just offered to defile his things.

Customer: “Bags.”

Me: “Of course.”

I start bagging as fast as I can. He is still glaring at me like he expects me to magically transmute the bags into boxes.

Customer: “I never want boxes.”

Me: “I understand.”

The transaction ends and I think that’s the end of it.

The next week, I still don’t know the regulars and have forgotten this charming soul.

Me: “Welcome to the store. Can I get your card today?”

The customer glares but barks out the name in a way that makes bells ring, but I don’t yet remember.

Me: “Perfect, thank you. *Starts scanning* “May I interest you in boxes instead of bags today?”

Once again, he looks like I’ve asked to befoul his groceries.

Customer: “Bags.”

I realise why he’s setting off bells in my head. I start bagging as quickly as I can.

Me: “My apologies… I’ve been asked to ask everyone.”

He GLARED, clearly upset that I had forgotten him AND his preferences after working for a week, but said nothing more.

This continued for a little while until I was a little more on board with the regulars and knew him as soon as I spied him. He acted the same to everyone, so I knew it wasn’t just me. I started barely saying a word to him any time he came through my checkout, and he seemed to favour it, though his attitude never got any better.

I was glad when I found out he was never coming back, which happened during a month I was away. Rumour has it he offended one of the company owners who regularly worked there. I don’t think it was karma, but it was a relief that I never had to deal with him once plastic bags became illegal.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!