Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Some Allergies Can Be Swept Under The Table

, , , , , , | Right | March 11, 2011

(At closing time I mop the back lobby, the area farthest from the door and counter. This is so we don’t have to do it after we close and can leave faster. There are two customers, a mother and her teenage son, in the back lobby.)

Me: “Just to let you know, after I finish wiping all the unoccupied tables I’ll be sweeping and mopping the floor. If you’re still here by then, the floor will be a little slippery when you stand up. I just wanted to let you know to be careful.”

Customer: “I have asthma, and a lot of allergies. If you sweep back here while I’m here, I’ll have an asthma attack. Can’t you do it after you close?”

Me: *smiling* “I have to clean the area now, but I’ll start on the other side of the back lobby.”

(I finish sweeping the other section of the back lobby. I avoid the corner in which she and her son are sitting.)

Customer: *to her son* “She didn’t even listen to me! I’m going outside!”

Me: “Ma’am, are you going to be all right? There’s a hospital right across the street. I’m sure they’d be able to help you if you’re having an asthma attack.”

Customer: “No! I’m going outside to smoke!”


This story is part of our Ironic Customers roundup!

Read the next Ironic Customers roundup story!

Read the Ironic Customers roundup!


This story is part of our dangerous parents roundup!

Read the next dangerous parents roundup story!

Read the dangerous parents roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!