Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Social Anxiety Can Rob You… Of Your Voice

, , , | Right | April 22, 2022

I work at an office supply store with a big copy and printing department. My boss is insistent that we speak with every customer on the floor at least once. We’ve recently had several thefts. Two days ago, I asked a man if he needed any help. He got spooked and ran out the door, setting off the security alarm. Earlier today, another customer ran out the door with a shopping cart full of stolen items.

It’s getting close to the end of my shift, and I see a teenage girl toward the back of the store browsing the shelves. I walk up to her.

Me: “Good evening, miss. Is there anything I can help you find today?”

Her eyes go wide, and she stares at me for a few seconds, like a deer caught in headlights.

Me: “Is that a no?”

She then started running toward the front of the store in a full sprint. I got on the radio and said we had a shoplifter. I watched as the girl approached the front door and… turned and ran toward our printing department instead. She sat down at one of our self-service computers and put on a pair of headphones.

Turns out, she was there with her father, who was getting a big printing order done, and she was just browsing while they waited. I never really got an explanation for her behavior, but she hadn’t stolen anything. My guess is that she had some kind of social anxiety.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!