Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

So Pho, So Crazy

, , , , , , | Right | December 3, 2010

(I am working the tills at a supermarket. I am of Vietnamese descent but was born in London. An older gentleman comes through my till.)

Customer: *practically shouting* “Ni-Hao!”

Me: “Hello to you, too, sir, but that’s Chinese. I am actually Vietnamese.”

(I point to my name tag which in our shop goes by family name instead of first name. Mine is the very common Nguyen.)

Customer: “Don’t lie!”

Me: “I assure you, sir, I am Vietnamese.”

Customer: “There aren’t any Vietnamese people left!”

Me: “Pardon?”

Customer: “Yeah, the Americans killed them all back in the seventies or something.”

Me: “I think you may have your history confused. I assure you there is still a Vietnam and it is full of Vietnamese people.”

Customer: “Well, I don’t know how you managed to escape, but I wouldn’t say it so loudly. There might be Americans around looking for survivors.”

Me: *as I ring up his last item* “Probably a good idea. That will be £10.34, please.”

Customer: *as he pays* “Wouldn’t want a young lad like you getting caught!”

(The customer heads towards the exit but unfortunately notices the security guard who also happens to be my brother. He is six feet tall and a body-builder and I dread what might happen.)

Customer: “Ni-Hao!”

Brother: “Actually, I’m Vietnamese.”

Customer: “Another one?! But the Americans wiped you all out!”

Brother: *standing to full height* “I think you might want to just keep on walking.”

Customer: “How dare you talk to me like that?! I’m going to call the Americans, and then they’ll come down here and shoot you!”


This story is part of our Bad-With-History roundup! This is the last story in the roundup, but we have plenty of others you might enjoy!

23 Stories From The Museum – From Stupid Visitors To Amazing Children!

 

Read the next Bad-With-History roundup story!

Read the Bad-With-History roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!