Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

So Many Options And Zero Progress

| Working | July 18, 2017

(The largest chain of convenience stores in our state has been switching over to a “kitchen” format, which I hate. They are trying to focus on food. To order the food, drinks, or frozen treats, one must punch in the order on a screen even though a person is standing right there on the other side of the counter. My first encounter with this system was over a year ago. I thought it was stupid and have not tried it again since. But the kids have asked me to pick up ice cream on the way home and theirs is only 79 cents a cone. Despite a person standing basically in front of me, I have to use the screen. I am not wearing my reading glasses.)

Option #1: “Food, coffee, frozen treat.” *frozen treat selected*

Option #2: “Ice cream, shake, sundae.” *ice cream selected*

Option #3: “Cone, cup.” *cup selected*

Option #4: “Select another, number, cancel.” *select another*

(Select another seemed a perfectly viable option so I pressed it without reading the other options. In all, I ordered three cones and a cup. Just as I finished the last order, the fellow behind the counter speaks.)

Employee: “Whoa! What are you trying to do?!”

Me: “I’m ordering three cones and a cup of ice cream.”

Employee: “Wait a minute! There’s a way easier way to do that! Look at this.”

(He comes around the counter, cancels my order and then:)

Option #1: “Food, coffee, frozen treat.” *frozen treat selected*

Option #2: “Ice cream, shake, sundae.” *ice cream selected*

Option #3: “Cone, cup.” *cup selected*

Option #4: “Select another, number, cancel.” *select number*

Option #5: “A numbers key pad screen pops up. He hits four then cancels then hits three, then hits select another. And proceeds to order the cup.”

Me: “So you just cancelled my order to show me how to do it faster when it basically took you the same amount of time thus doubling my wait?”

Employee: *blank stare*

(I walked out and stopped at a fast food place where I could talk to a person who not only took the order but filled it and handed me the ice creams in a cool little carrier. Sometimes technology is not the answer.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!