Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

So Long, No Thanks From All The Fish

, , , , | Right | October 1, 2021

I recently transferred to a store in a new state that’s much bigger than my previous store. As a result, this store has more of a “customer is always right” viewpoint than I’m used to. I’m helping a customer pick out some fish.

Me: “Hello! How can I help you?”

Customer: “Hello! I’m looking for an algae eater.”

Me: “All right! And what size tank do you have?”

Customer: “A ten-gallon.”

Me: “And are there any other fish living in there right now?”

Customer: “Yeah, a couple of oscars.”

I freeze. 

Me: “Oscar… cichlids?”

Customer: “Yeah.”

Our cichlids at the BARE MINIMUM need a forty-gallon tank. His tank is just barely big enough to fit ONE.

Me: “Um… I’m not quite sure how to help you, sir. Your tank is very overcrowded at the moment. Maybe a snail could help you clean your tank.”

Customer: “No! I want an algae eater!”

He points to our plecostomus tank. I am not kidding when I say that these fish get two to three feet long. There is no way this fish is going to fit in his tank.

Me: “Sir, I really wouldn’t recommend you doing that. This fish is not going to fit in your tank, and—”

Customer: “I don’t care! Get me that algae eater or I’ll find someone who will!”

I already know that one way or another, the customer is walking out of here with that fish, and I’ll probably get reprimanded if I don’t grab it. I’m polite but cold as I catch the fish and bag it up for him. He leaves as I go work on other chores.

Later, I’m talking to my coworkers about what happened.

Coworker: “Oh, that was him? He complained to me about you. I wouldn’t worry about it; he’s a problem customer.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!