Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Snatched From The Jaws Of Death

, | Working | June 5, 2014

(I have a very severe jaw infection. It has spread from my lower jaw to my upper jaw and down my throat. I can’t eat or sleep and I’ve scheduled an appointment with my dentist for over a week from now. A few days later, it’s become an emergency, so I call again.)

Receptionist: “How can I help you?”

Me: “Hi. This is [My Name] again. I have an appointment scheduled for next Wednesday, but it’s become an emergency. Do you have emergency openings or a cancellation or some way I can get in today?”

Receptionist: “We’ll call you back after we look at the schedule.” *click*

(Two hours go by. My pain has intensified and I’m crying from it. I decide to call again.)

Me: “Hi, it’s [My Name] again. You said you’d call back and no one ever did. I can’t swallow at this point and it’s getting dangerous. Are you going to be able to get me in today or not?”

Receptionist: “The doctor isn’t even in today. And the hygienist says she won’t prescribe you any pain medication because she thinks you’re just looking for drugs. Anyway, you have an appointment scheduled for next week. You’re not our top priority. Just wait until then.”

Me: “You do know that a jaw infection can reach the brain and cause damage? And you know that it can cause blood poisoning, right?”

Receptionist: “Well, we’re not going out of our way for you when you already have a scheduled appointment.” *click*

(In a panic, I find another dentist office and walk in. I ask to see the dentist. They get me an x-ray, do an oral exam, get me a prescription for pain medication, and an appointment with an oral surgeon to remove the problem tooth. They said the infection was so bad, had it reached my blood stream, I could have died. They even go out of their way to make sure any medication I take is safe for breastfeeding my infant. About an hour after this appointment, I am happily on pain killers and the first dentist office calls back.)

Receptionist: “Hi. We had a cancellation and can get you in on Monday. That’s the best we can do.”

Me: “Just cancel my appointment. And all further appointments. I found a dentist that cares. They took better care of me than the office I’ve been going to for 20 years and potentially saved my life. While you’re cancelling those appointments, go ahead and transfer all of my records. We’re done here.” *click*

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!