Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Smaller Box For Smaller Minded

| Right | March 7, 2013

(I am working a Saturday before a holiday and am extremely busy. I have also been at work since 5 am. I am the only teenage guy allowed to run a cash register.)

Customer #1: *to her cohort* “I f***ing hate this store, and hate these prices.”

Cohort: “Mhmm.”

(I finish ringing up everything.)

Me: “That’ll be $245.15 today, ma’am.”

Customer #1: “No, I am on [government program providing food to women with kids for the kids’ nutritional needs].”

Me: “Oh, I am sorry. Ma’am, you need to let me know that before, but don’t worry: I can rescan it and make sure it’s all right.”

Customer #1: “D*** right.” *returns to talking to cohort*

Me: *to person bagging groceries* “I need to redo this order.”

Coworker: “Okay.”

(My coworker unbags the groceries and helps me sort them out. At this point, I begin scanning items through. The computer lets me know if the items count for the program or not. A box of cereal doesn’t count and cannot be rung up for the government program.)

Me: “Oh, I am sorry, ma’am, this cereal doesn’t count. I believe it has to be the smaller size.”

Customer #1: “Are you f***ing kidding me? I just bought this same box of cereal with my last check.”

Cohort: “Yeah, the female cashiers always ring it up right for us.”

Me: “I am sorry, but the program just changed. You should have received a packet in the mail telling you what is now accepted. Would you like me to have someone get you the size that counts?”

Customer #1: “Just because you have a penis means you think you can tell me what I can and can’t do! I just want cereal!”

(Her rants continues for about five more minutes with a large number of customers all staring at us waiting to see what is going to happen.)

Me: “I am sorry, ma’am. Would you like the smaller size?”

Cohort: “Fine, go get the other box!”

(I finish ringing up the lady and tell her to have a nice day, receiving a scowl and a middle finger in return. Customer #2, after standing in line behind during the whole ordeal, pushes her cart up to my stand. I recognize her but am to upset at this point to think twice about it.)

Customer #2: “Well, that was unpleasant.”

Me: “A little bit. How are you doing?”

Customer #2: “Well, I am just fine. I want you to know something, though: you are my favorite cashier and I always come to your line. You have always been nothing but sweet to me and you ring me up quickly. As far as that lady goes, don’t worry; I will make sure she doesn’t bother you again.”

(She proceeded to offer me a hug which I took. Later my boss came up to me and told me he received two reports about me. The first was a screaming call about the sexist employee. The second was about a ranting and raving customer. My manager banned the rude customer and gave me a raise for biting my tongue through it all.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!