Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Slicing Through The Sexism

, , , | Working | July 5, 2012

(I’m at a swap meet looking for a number of items, including a knife for camping and self-defense purposes. I am picking up knifes, unsheathing them and examining the blades very carefully. A vendor selling knives is surprised at my interest.)

Vendor: *to another customer* “Well, would ya look at that! There’s a girl looking at knives! I haven’t seen a woman looking at knives that seriously. I was gonna say all day, but really, ever!” *to me* “Can I ask who you’re looking for?”

Me: “Oh, for me. I do a lot of camping. Plus, you never know when you’re going to need one.”

Vendor: “Well, I never! Do you know how to use one of those, hun?”

Me: “It’s a knife. It’s not rocket science.”

Vendor: *smug smile* “Would you like me to show you?”

Me: “How to use a knife? I think I’ve got it down, thanks.”

Vendor: “Whatever you say…”

(I walk away at this point to look elsewhere, but his booth has the most satisfactory knives I’ve seen there. I end up going back and purchasing one, and immediately use it to cut open the packaging on some of my other purchases so he knows I know how to use it.)

Me: “Like I said, not rocket science!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!