Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Skating Past The Facts

, , , | Right | November 18, 2020

Every year, the ice rink undergoes maintenance for about six weeks; general cleaning, some paint touchups, and various other tasks need to be done. The ice needs to be replaced yearly, so there is no ice currently on the floor.

The ice rink website clearly states that we’re closed to the public for several weeks. One day, I see a van pull up and park out front at around 11:30 am. Two women get out with four small children in tow. Each child has a helmet and their own skates in hand.

They wander in and don’t seem to understand that we aren’t open, so I go to meet them in the front lobby.

Woman #1: “We, uh, came to skate.”

Me: “I can see that, but unfortunately, we’re closed for maintenance for the next few weeks.”

Woman #1: “Oh, you’re kidding me.”

I gesture toward the iceless concrete floor.

Me: “I sure hope not; we already took the ice out.”

Woman #1: “We drove over an hour to get here. You guys really should have this kind of thing on your website.”

Me: “I’m sorry to hear that, but it is on our website, miss. I’ve checked for myself multiple times.”

Woman #1: “No, it wasn’t. This is unbelievable. Is there anyone else we can talk to about this?”

Me: “Yes, it was, and still is. But anyone that will get you skating? Here? Today? No. They’re going to tell you the same thing I did, but there should be someone in the front office if you’d like to ask anyway.”

Child: “Does this mean we’re not skating today?”

Woman #2: “I guess not. They’re closed. Is there anything you can do?”

Me: “Uh, no. There’s no ice. Nowhere to skate. I can’t just lay down more.”

Woman #1: “You guys really need to be clearer about when you’re open on the website.”

Me: “It’s on the website, miss. The schedule says ‘closed’ for the next month. Even if it didn’t, I’m not in charge of the website. You’d need to speak to someone else.”

Woman #1: *Clearly annoyed* “This is ridiculous. I’m going to speak to someone about this.”

Me: “Okay, check the front office. Come again — when we’re open, that is. For future reference, if we weren’t closed for maintenance, public skate wouldn’t start for about another four hours, anyway. It’s from 4:00 to 8:00. This, of course, is also on the website. Wouldn’t want you guys to waste another trip.”

I gave them a cheeky smile and left before they could snap at me. I heard angry muttering as they departed.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!