Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Sitting Down On The Couch On The Job

| Right | November 7, 2016

(I am required to greet everyone when they enter the store. The clerk’s desk is towards the front, so I usually do it as people approach or pass the desk while I process in paperwork. I usually ask if people are looking for anything specific as a follow-up, unless they clearly indicate they are just browsing. A woman walks in.)

Me: “Hello!”

Lady: “Yeah, I’m just browsing, thanks.”

(She flaps her hand dismissively, so I don’t follow up. About twenty minutes goes by with me walking through the space to subtly check on her as she sits on couches and chairs and does things on her phone. I then get caught up with another customer, and return to my paperwork. The woman storms up to the desk, clearly livid.)

Lady: “I have been waiting for over FIFTEEN MINUTES!”

Me: “I’m so sorry, ma’am, did you need help finding something?”

Lady: “Um, YES. I have questions about your couches. I’ve been back there waiting for you to help me.”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, you should have said something. You said you were just browsing so I assumed you would let me know if you had questions.”

Lady: “Well, I’m not going to do your job for you, am I?”

(She didn’t end up buying a couch.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!