Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Silence, Oppressor!

, , , , , | Working | May 23, 2018

I am Black, living in Germany as the daughter of a mixed couple. My dad is the one with black skin, and my mum is German. I look more Black than mixed, as I took more to my dad’s side of genes, I guess.

I have been asked where I am from on countless occasions, and in varying levels of rudeness. I grew up in Germany. German is my mother language. I speak English rather well because my mom is an English teacher.

Don’t get me wrong; there are tons and tons of wonderful people around me, and in my hometown, it rarely happens anymore. But when I am travelling, I just get so many looks and questions in tones that grate on my peace of mind.

One day, a cashier at a store speaks to me like I am mentally disabled — slowly and in easy words, complimenting them with gestures and miming stuff out — despite me speaking German without an accent.

In the end, she seriously asks, in the sweetest tone, “Where are you from in Africa? Are you here looking for a German boyfriend?”

I just look her dead in the eye and say, “I’m the queen of Wakanda, here to steal your men to make them my slaves, so you’d better get ready.“


This story is part of our Black Lives Matter roundup! This is the last story in the roundup, but we have plenty of others you might enjoy!

12 Stories That Show How Much We Need Black History Month

 

Read the next Black Lives Matter roundup story!

Read the Black Lives Matter roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!