Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Silence Of The Hipsters

| Right | April 20, 2016

(I work in a music and DVD store that prides itself on being able to provide hard-to-find items. Each of us working in the store tries to have as broad a knowledge as possible of different movies, TV, and music, and so we often surprise customers when they request something they think we’ll never heard of. Occasionally, though, a customer will go out of their way to try to prove us wrong.)

Customer: “I was wondering if you had a TV series called Hannibal.”

Me: “Oh, yeah, that’s a pretty good seller at the moment. The third season’s just been released.”

Customer: “Have you watched it?”

Me: “Oh, my god, yes! I love it! Bryan Fuller can do no wrong, as far as I’m concerned.”

Customer: *scoffing* “You know it’s based on a movie, right? You probably haven’t seen it. It’d be before your time. It’s called The Silence of the Lambs.”

Me: “Oh, no, I’ve seen Silence of the Lambs.”

Customer: “You must be older than you look.”

Me: “I just really like movies.”

Customer: “You know, there was a song written about Hannibal Lecter. It was a few years ago, but you probably haven’t heard it since it wasn’t played on most radio stations.”

Me: “You mean Lotion by the Greenskeepers? It made the Hottest 100 that year; I think it was 2005 or 2006. It’s an awesome song; it really gets the Buffalo Bill vibe down.”

Customer: *suddenly aggravated* “You think you’re so much better than me, don’t you?”

Me: “I’m sorry?”

Customer: “This place is a sham, helping big corporations to funnel mass produced crap media into the homes of unknowing idiots. You think just because you can spout off some facts about a culturally significant movie that it makes you better than me? You still sell One Direction to screaming teeny boppers.”

Me: “At least the teeny boppers are polite.”

Customer: “WELL, DVDS ARE OUTDATED TECHNOLOGY!” *storms off*

Coworker: “What was that?”

Me: “I think I just out-hipstered a hipster, by knowing random facts about a popular TV show, which is based on a popular book series.”

Coworker: “People are so weird.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!