Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Signatures On Tap

, , , , , | Right | January 24, 2023

I work for a company that sends out handymen, plumbers, and the like for people who have a contract with us. I get a call from one of our plumbers.

Plumber: “I’m here with [Client], and she wants a different type of water tap. I have one with me and can do that right away. Can you give me a digital order? I told her it will cost [amount], and I checked her ID. She’s okay with it.”

Me: “Of course I can help with that. May I please talk to her, as well? Then we’ll have her okay on recording.”

The plumber hands over the phone and I check the client’s identity with our security questions. I tell her that if she wants that other water tap, it will cost [amount] and she will receive a bill in a few weeks. I also tell her she needs to sign for the okay.

She gives permission, and the plumber goes to work. The digital order appears on his pad and the sweet old lady signs.

A few weeks later, after the bill is sent, the client calls about it.

Client: “I don’t know why I was billed; I have a contract with you guys! Unbelievable, taking advantage of a weak old lady like me!”

Me: “I’m so sorry to hear that. Let me check. I see it’s about that different water tap you wanted.”

Client: “Well, yes, but I wasn’t informed that it would cost me any money! I wouldn’t have done it if it would!”

Me: “I see here you gave permission over the phone and signed the order, as well.”

I never say people talked to me because if people want to lie, they tend to do that more quickly when they think they are not talking to the same person. Also, I think it’s fun to call them out when that happens. But this sweet old lady couldn’t lie, right? Just a bit scatterbrained, I bet. 

Client: “What? Was that what that was about? Oh, that person on the phone didn’t mention any costs! She held that information from me!”

Me: “I’m pretty sure I did mention the costs, ma’am.” *Silence* “The plumber mentioned the price and I repeated that. I also said you had to sign for it.”

Client: “I never signed!”

Me: “I have your signature right here.”

Client: “That’s not mine!”

Me: “I have your contract with us and the signature is pretty similar. Do I need to ask my manager to listen back to the recording?”

Client: “Well… I… I mean… I hope you sleep well at night, ripping old ladies off!”

She hung up. Of course, there is a possibility she has more going on and might need help, so I made sure I made a note in her file. We cannot act on one incident, but if it happens again, we can contact the right authorities to check up on her.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!