Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Sick Of Your Mismanagement

, | Working | November 13, 2014

(My sister has recently developed an allergy to artificial sweeteners. She works at a fast food restaurant, but since the store’s owner really likes her as an employee (because she is prompt and very bright), he arranges for her to only be scheduled for the shift role where she bags food and answers the phone. He tells all the managers that she is not to do any of the other jobs because it risks her touching even the residue from diet drinks. One night she is working and the staff is short-handed. The manager on duty has not worked with my sister in a while, and so never has heard that her issue has been diagnosed.)

Manager: “[Sister], go cover the drive thru window so [Coworker] can go on break.”

Sister: “Sorry, I can’t. [Owner] said I don’t have to do that role because I get sick from touching the cups.”

Manager: “Look, we need someone there, and I’m telling you to do it.”

Sister: “Remember how I used to leave early all the time? It’s because I can’t physically do the jobs where I have to touch the cups! I will get sick and have to go home. That’s why [Owner] said for me to only do this job!”

Manager: *clearly not believing her* “[Coworker] needs to go on break, and I told you to cover for her. Now do it.”

(My sister finally just gave in, figuring the manager will learn the hard way when she got sick. Sure enough, the next day, she had to call in because she was too sick to work. Thankfully, the owner found out what happened and had a talk with that manager. It hasn’t happened since.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!