Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Shouting Has Increased By A Factor Of Four Hundred

, , | Right | February 11, 2019

(For security reasons, we are not allowed to send large amounts of cash to drive-up customers. A customer pulls into the drive-up and sends in her ID.)

Me: “Good morning! How can I help you?”

Customer: “Yeah, give me—“ *garbled mic noises* “—$400 out of my account.”

Me: “I’m so sorry, but the mic is acting up, so I want to confirm. $400?”

Customer: “NO! $410.”

Me: “Certainly. Withdrawal for $410; how do you want that back?”

Customer: “Are you deaf?! I said $400!”

Me: “No problem. $400 it is; how do you want it back?”

(The customer scowls at me and rolls up her window. I start the withdrawal, but need her to sign a receipt, so I send the carrier back out to her. About a half-second later, she rings the “Call Teller” button.)

Me: “Yes, ma’am?”

Customer: “ARE YOU STUPID?! I said $1400!”

Me: “I’m sorry, I thought you said $400.”

Customer: “FOURTEEN HUNDRED! Stupid girl! GIVE IT TO ME NOW!”

(She continues hurling abuse and demands at me. I just stand there and wait for her to run out of steam. When she does…)

Me: *sweetly* “I’m sorry, but that is over our drive-thru limit. You’ll have to come inside to get that.”

(I turn off the mic and hand the rest of the transaction off to the lobby teller, who has heard the whole thing. This sets her off even more, as I can see her screaming at me.)

Coworker: *grins* “So, it’s $400, right?”

Me: “Have fun getting yelled at!”

(She did eventually come inside and get her cash, complaining all the while.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!