Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Should’ve Seized The Opportunity To Order Sooner

, , , , , | Healthy | CREDIT: DisgruntledGremlin | December 6, 2022

I work in a pharmacy. We have a sick kid with all kinds of health problems, physical and psychological, so he’s on a lot of medications. His parent/guardian is an absolute entitled jerk. She pulls the “I have a disabled child” card at every opportunity she can and uses that excuse to be super rude. She actively looked for problems before this incident, but now I’m pretty sure she’s actually trying to bait us into doing or saying something so that she can sue us.

[Kid] is taking clonazepam for his anxiety AND clobazam for his seizures. I’m sure you can guess exactly where this is headed. [Kid] ran out of clobazam, so [Parent] called the doctor to request a refill. She has an accent and has a stuffy nose when she called the doctor. [Parent] swears that she called in his clobazam, but the doctor sent clonazepam because that’s what he heard. The doctor checked the kid’s profile and saw that he was taking clonazepam, so that’s obviously what he sent. It is too early to fill the clonazepam, so we just put the script on hold.

[Parent] calls and demands to know what is going on with the kid’s medication.

Me: “It’s too early to fill that prescription; you’ll need to wait for two more days before we can fill it.”

Parent: “He ran out of his pills three days ago. He needs it now!

Me: “We can’t fill the clonazepam because it’s a controlled substance and it’s too early.”

Parent: “The doctor called it in! Why can’t you just do your jobs?!”

And blah, blah, blah. [Parent] does not get [Kid]’s medicine that night.

At this point, the kid has been without clobazam for three days. Guess who has a seizure and has to go to the hospital. And guess who calls us first thing in the morning and immediately demands:

Parent: “Where is your manager?!”

Apparently, in Entitlement World, all pharmacists are managers. [Pharmacist] has to hear about how we allegedly refused to fill [Kid]’s seizure medication and he ended up in the hospital and she is going to sue us, blah, blah, blah.

[Pharmacist] looks at the kid’s profile and sees the script for clonazepam, but she scrolls down further and sees the old script for clobazam without any refills.

Pharmacist: “Which medicine did you tell the doctor to call in?”

Parent: “The clobazam!”

Pharmacist: “Clobazam and clonazepam sound very similar. Are you sure that’s what you called it?”

Parent: “You should have known which medicine my kid needed because he was already out for three days. You should have just filled the one he needed!”

[Pharmacist] calls the doctor.

Doctor: “[Parent] absolutely called in clonazepam last night, not clobazam. I sent the script for clonazepam.”

[Pharmacist] calls [Parent] back.

Pharmacist: “[Doctor] heard you request clonazepam and sent over the one you asked for.”

Parent: “You should have known which one he’d been out of for three days and needed a refill for! It’s your pharmacy’s fault my son was admitted to the hospital!”

She didn’t blame the doctor for sending in the clonazepam script. She blamed the pharmacy for filling the clonazepam script instead of magically knowing it was supposed to be clobazam.

The whole fiasco was [Parent]’s fault for waiting until the kid was without his seizure medicine for three days and then requesting the wrong medication when she called the doctor.

She kept calling and trying to make us apologize for “sending her kid to the hospital”. We told her that we felt sorry that it had happened to her kid, but we didn’t say we were sorry FOR what happened. She kept calling back trying to get an apology, so I think she was trying to get a cashier or new tech to say, “I’m sorry FOR what happened,” so she could sue us.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!