Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Should Have Googled It  

, , , | Right | December 16, 2019

(Our company makes a laptop computer that runs on the Chrome operating system and is not compatible with most Windows programs and drivers.)

Customer: “I got this DVD player to use with my [Computer], but it’s not working.”

Me: “You said you have a [Computer]? I’m sorry, sir, but that machine runs on the Chrome operating system and is not compatible with external DVD players because the drivers are made for Windows and cannot run on it.”

Customer: “Wait, so I can’t put a DVD player on this computer? Then how do I load my MS Office on it?”

Me: “That program will not run on the [Computer], either. Microsoft has released it for the Windows operating system and Mac, but not for Chrome, so it is not compatible.”

Customer: “Why didn’t anyone tell me this computer wouldn’t work with those? I bought this so I could put Office on it and watch DVDs! I was under the impression that it was compatible with all that! I wouldn’t have purchased the unit if I’d known it was useless!”

Me: “The [Computer] is useful as a browser, but is not designed to be used as a DVD player or word processor. It’s designed for people who just want to get onto the Internet and not much else. Did someone at the retailer tell you it was compatible with these things?”

(We’ve had issues with employees at a particular retailer telling people that the computer is compatible with many things that it doesn’t actually work with to sell more electronics and programs, so this isn’t a surprise.)

Customer: “No, I bought it from [Online Retailer]. I did all the research myself, and I never saw anything that said it wasn’t compatible.”

Me: “Did you see anything that said it was compatible or anything in the system requirements of the programs and accessories that they would work on that operating system?”

Customer: “No! But you should put on the advertisements what it’s not compatible with so I don’t buy s*** that won’t do what I want it to!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!