Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Short-Changed And Short-Tempered

| Working | December 23, 2015

(I am 14 years old and quite shy. I am shopping for Christmas presents for my family and am on the way out of the shop when I realise the cashier has short changed me by about £7.)

Me: *to a different employee* “Excuse me, but I don’t think I have been given the correct change.”

Employee: *sighs* “Let me see your receipt.”

(I hand my receipt over to her.)

Employee: “Right well it says here you should have gotten £13 change. What did you get?”

Me: *showing her the money in my hand I had yet to put away in my purse* “I only received £6 change so I am missing £7 of it.”

Employee: “Which till did you use and who served you?”

Me: “I used the one closest to the door and it was a blonde girl.”

Employee: “Look, to see if she has actually short changed you I will have to take the till off and count it to see if it’s up any money. It’s just going to be a lot of time and effort on my part. Can’t you just let it go? It’s only £7.”

Me: *getting quite uncomfortable as I don’t really like confrontations* “Well, not really. I’ve worked hard for that money and I still have some more gifts to buy. I don’t really have a lot of money to begin with as I am too young to get a job and have just saved up my weekly spends.”

Employee: *sighs again* “Fine. Wait here!”

(I am then left at the front of the shop for about 30 minutes, not knowing what an earth is going on until the employee finally comes back.)

Employee: “Here!” *hands me £7* “You know, you really shouldn’t cause an inconvenience like that to adults who actually have real jobs. Just a tip for when you’re older.”

Me: “Your employee caused the inconvenience in the first place!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!